Thursday, 26 August 2010

'All in this together'

The ConDem coalition says it may cut government departmental spending by between 25% and 40%. Both Cameron and Clegg claim these are fair cuts, 'we're all in this together' is their matra. In fact, the Financial Times reports that the poorest 20% in society rely on public services for over 60% of their incomes, but the richest 20% are barely affected, being 5 times less dependent on public spending for their incomes. Following yesterday's report stripping away government spin about the budget being 'progressive', it is clear that it will be poorest in Birmingham who will be hit hardest by government cuts to public spending.